IT Manager Resume Sample
Information Technology will continue to become a rapid growth industry as more businesses continue to migrate their operations into tech-based systems. New designations open on a daily basis but you will need a high-value IT Manager resume to be considered for an interview.
Systems are composed of processes and frameworks which have been designed to make the business run more efficiently and productively. It is a tall task for the IT Manager to keep the system updated and consistently performing without a hitch.
Do you feel like grabbing the Hiring Manager by the collar and scream, “Look no further! I am the right person for the job!”
You don’t have to as long as you have the right resume. And that is what we are here for.
We have prepared an IT Manager resume sample that you can customize to meet the specific job requirements of the prospective company. It comes down to how you present your strong points.
To help you out, we have included a comprehensive write up on how to approach the key sections of your resume.
IT Manager Resume Sample
Christian A. Kaplan
Address: 1472 Cardiff Drive, Cambrian Park, San Jose, CA.
Phone: (408) 974 6314
Email: [email protected]
Current Job: IT Manager; The San Jose Foundation on Arts, Philosophy and Humanities; San Jose,
- Bachelor degree in Computer Information Systems – Carrington College, 2009.
- 6+ years experience as IT Manager.
- High level coding skills.
- Expert in Business Process Modeling (BPM).
- Strong technical and interpersonal communication
- Team Oriented.
IT Manager; 2015 to Present
The San Jose Foundation on Arts, Philosophy and Humanities; San Jose, CA.
- Plans, designs and develops programs; tests, maintains and documents cloud-hosted, web-based systems management facilities.
- Manages all software development applications; handles bug/ fixes, modernization programs and schedules enhancement activities.
- Serves as the Project Manager for all software development related projects; prepares and establishes budgets, priority list, risk management parameters and ensures that all deadlines and timetables are consistently met.
- Presides as the organization’s Contracting Officer Representative or COR on all contracts related to software development; authorized as the technical expert for the selection of commercially available software and other programs proposed by the government and other suppliers.
- Improvements and enhancements in tech infrastructure resulted in the organization realizing a record net profit of $115 Million in 2017 as expenses were streamlined by 89% and output increased by 144%.
IT Manager; 2013 to 2015
Tropical Palace Hotel and Resort; Palawan, Philippines.
- Supervised, monitored and collaborated with resort staff and management team on all systems-related issues pertaining to the operation of the PMS and POS.
- Actively administered and managed the network, workstation operating systems, security systems, safety backups and servers related to the systems of the resort.
- Assembled, repaired, maintained and disassembled computers and related equipment for use of the company’s authorized personnel.
- Presided over the training and orientation of employees and company offers on the use of the systems in order to ensure strict compliance with company policies.
- Represented the company in all job training seminars, classes, conventions and personal enrichment opportunities as identified by officers and top management.
- Incidence of malware attacks were reduced by 217% while POS working rate efficiency improved by 74%. Customer service concerns regarding billing issues and booking details were at their lowest at 1.3% of total trouble tickets issued.
IT Manager; 2011 to 2013
Crystal Portal Networking Services; San Jose, CA.
- Supervised 3 highly experienced networking engineers and a Cisco-certified engineer.
- Designed and monitored performance of the enterprise network; local and wide area networks plus VoIP systems.
- Handled documentation of usage and capacity reports on networking systems and the health of data/ voice communication processes.
- Assigned to manage vendor and supplier relationships for the purpose of resolving problems, managing services and reviewing proposals in the most expedient ways possible.
- Tasked to establish growth plan for the network so that best quality service using a state-of-the-art environment is consistently met.
- Inbound/Outbound calling systems which included predictive dialler increased agent productivity by more than 444% with a 212% decrease in the number of dropped calls. Connectivity improved by 112%.
Bachelor Degree – Computer Information Systems
San Jose, CA
2005 to 2009; GPA 3.7
Silver Creek High School
San Jose, CA.
2001 to 2005
Date of Birth: September 14, 1988
Hobbies include weight training, trail biking.
IT Manager Resume Skills List
What should you put in your IT Manager skills list? As many as you can fit! This job is highly technical in nature. System requirements may change and it will be to your advantage to know as many programming languages as possible.
- Education. Employers prefer candidates who have completed a four year course in Computer Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Programming, Management Information Systems and other technology related subjects.As a matter of fact, companies will pay a premium for candidates who have completed a Master’s Degree in Information Technology. The higher your educational attainment the greater the probability of getting hired and signing your own paycheck.
- Business Process Modeling. Technology continues to evolve in order to make businesses more efficient and productive.Companies invest millions, even billions, to build tech infrastructure that would eventually yield high level returns in the future because output has increased while minimizing input.You should have the ability to identify the processes and frameworks a system needs to help the company reach its goals while managing costs and surpassing revenue expectations.
- Effective Interpersonal and Communication Skills. As the IT Manager, you have to translate numbers and technical terms into simple language. Officers, managers and staff are not nearly as proficient as you when it comes to deciphering technology reports and data.You should be able to make key people in the company understand the implications of your reports because these form the basis of the decision making process.
- Team Player. It takes a team to run and manage systems. You will work with likewise talented individuals with different specializations related to IT. You should have the ability to get them to work at their best on a daily basis.Most importantly, everyone should learn and appreciate working with one another. You need strong leadership qualities to become an effective IT Manager.
IT Manager Resume Objective
Considering the high level technical demands of the job, you should go straight to your strong technical selling points in your IT Manager resume objective.
As you have noticed, in our sample resume objective for IT Manager we went straight and gave a litany of Christian’s strongest technical qualifications:
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Information Systems.
- 6 plus years experience in the IT industry.
- Proficient in running systems that deal with security, engineering and networking.
Keep in mind that many companies will utilize Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) which pinpoints specific hard and soft skills as keywords. Review the job post carefully and take note of the requirements then include them in your resume objective.
IT Manager Resume Format
The resume is your marketing tool kit and its selling points are your skills, work experience, education and other technical qualifications. How can you organize these in a way that the information can easily be seen by the Hiring Manager? Simple! Use the reverse chronological for your IT Manager resume format.
Notice how we arranged our sample resume template for IT Manager?
- Contact Information
- Objective Statement
- Work Experience
- Personal Information
By placing all of the information on Work Experience in the middle, the Hiring Manager will have to go through the Objective Statement and Strengths sections. The details embedded in those sections such as Christian’s degree in CIS and certifications in different programming languages will help build up interest for his Work Experience.
When composing your Work Experience, Education and Certification using the reverse chronological format, always start with your most recent achievement then move backward. This gives you the advantage of having the recruiter immediately see your strongest and most relevant skills and accomplishments.
Entry Level IT Manager Resume
As long as you have the necessary technical skills and competencies, you still have a chance to get the job even if you are submitting an entry level IT Manager resume.
The first thing you should do is to switch from the reverse chronological to the functional format. This will rearrange our sample template for IT Manager resume this way:
- Contact Information
- Objective Statement
- Work Experience
- Personal Information
With the functional format your purpose is to place more emphasis on your skills and other qualifications. This is why Work Experience is located near the end of your resume.
IT Manager Resume Writing Tips
If you’ve just designed a network, you cannot run all your processes until you have conducted testing that proves the system works and is fail-safe. This is the same approach you should take when it comes to your application. Don’t leave anything to chance and read through our IT Manager resume writing tips:
- Use the Appropriate Action Words – In the IT industry, action words such as designed, assembled, managed, created, supervised and monitored are highly used and appropriate to describe your tasks.
- Substantiate Your Accomplishments – If you’ll notice in our sample job description for IT Manager resume, we always concluded the set of responsibilities with Christian’s greatest accomplishment with the employer.
But we don’t just state it. Instead we substantiate it with facts and figures. It may be enough to get the Hiring Manager interested and invite Christian to an interview. By that time, he should be ready to validate those numbers with actual figures.
IT is a very competitive field. But if you follow our tips and use the IT Manager resume sample as a reference tool, you should be able to stay ahead of the other applicants.
If this IT Manager resume example wasn’t sufficient for you, you are free to review some other samples and templates from our site. Browse to some related resumes below and find your inspiration.
Besides the resumes listed above, we recommend going through the following resume writing and job seeking tips: