Accounting Assistant Resume Sample
Vincent F. Parker
Address: 7741 Martin Kings Road, Charlottesville, VA
Phone: (434) 987 6543
Email: [email protected]
Current job: Accounting Assistant; McCloud Industries
Accounting Assistant with 6 years of experience seeks to establish a career in Accounting with your company, Dublin Distilleries as a staff Accounting Assistant. I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from Piedmont Virginia Community College and I am preparing for the licensing exam to become a Certified Public Accountant. I am highly knowledgeable in the following Accounting software programs: QuickBooks Pro, FreshBooks, and MS Excel.
- Bachelor’s Degree – Accounting; Piedmont Virginia Community College
- 6 years experience as an Accounting Assistant
- Knowledgeable in QuickBooks, FreshBooks, and MS Excel.
- Experienced handling the following programs – Asana, SalesForce, and Bitrix-24
- Fast typing speed – 40wpm.
- Technical skills – Analyzing/ Preparing Financial Statements, preparation of tax reports
- Administrative skills include – Report generation and filing/organizing
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to multitask
Accounting Assistant; 2020 to present
McCloud Industries; Charlottesville, VA
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares projected monthly statements for various departments; the statements include cash flow statements, cash disbursement statements, and income statements.
- Assists Supervisors and Department heads in measuring projected versus actual monthly statements.
- Organizes and manages all documents such as invoices, official receipts, statements of accounts, and receiving and inspection reports.
- Prepares payroll; manages employee master file which is submitted to the depository bank every 12th and 28th of the month.
- Manages and updates employees’ benefits and total compensation schedules.
- Monitors aging of accounts receivables; prepares and submits a report to Chief Accountant for appropriate action.
- Keeps track of the company’s current and savings accounts.
Accounting Assistant, 2017 to 2020
Meridien Food Enterprises; Charlottesville, VA
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reconciled account balances: Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Cash Accounts.
- Monitored food costs by keeping track of inventory records of the company’s various restaurants.
- Coordinated with the Purchasing Officer for the placement and scheduling of supplies; the number of supplies must be by the updated par stock levels of the restaurants.
- Participated in the month-end inventory count of select restaurants.
- Prepared the necessary financial reports: Cash Flow, Income Statement, Cash Disbursement, and Summary of Receivables/ Payables.
- Reviewed payroll schedule as prepared by the restaurant’s designated Team Leader.
Accounting Assistant, 2015 to 2017
McKenzie and Harbaugh Property Developers; Charlottesville, VA
Duties and Responsibilities
- Updated journal entries.
- Prepared monthly projected cash flow and income statements.
- Received organized sales invoices and official receipts.
- Prepared company payroll.
- Ensured the prompt payment of employee benefits.
- Studied and resolved any variances found in accounting records
Bachelor’s Degree – Accounting
Piedmont Virginia Community College
2011 to 2015
Charlottesville High School
2007 to 2011
Accounting Assistant Skills List
Other than Accounting, what else should be on your Accounting Assistant skills list? It seems to be self-explanatory. However, some skills should be seen in your resume. These skills will help you get the job. Keep in mind, it’s not just a “numbers game”. You should have the right personality as well.
You should have a good foundation in Accounting. A 2-year associate degree is fine. Companies will prefer those who have a 4-year Bachelor’s Degree. As we mentioned, this is a great way to get started for a career in Accounting. If you want to move up, you should be licensed as a CPA. As an Accounting Assistant, you will get good practical experience. Add to that a 4-year education and a CPA license, and you have an unbeatable combination.
No certification is needed to become an Accounting Assistant. You could take up courses that could add value to your resume. For example, get certified in Office Administration. You can also get certified in other areas of Accounting. If you plan to work in manufacturing or the food industry, a certification in Inventory Management would be a big plus.
MS Excel should not be the only software program in your skills list. You should be proficient in programs that are designed for Accounting. These programs include FreshBooks and QuickBooks. Since part of your job is administrative, it would be good to learn these types of programs as well. Some of the best administrative programs are Asana and SalesForce.
Assist the Accountant including freeing him/her of administrative duties. Examples of these types of duties are updating the CRM, preparing spreadsheets, and answering the phone. You may also have to write and send emails. The bottom line is to keep the Accountant focused on his/her primary duties.
Even though Accounting involves formulas where you only need to plug in the numbers, you still have to be good at Math. You have to be quick in identifying which figures belong to the correct columns. Being good in Math will help you sort out the meaning of these numbers and ensure your reports are always balanced.
In Accounting, you have to be precise. If your numbers are off, it could throw off the company. The decision-makers need accurate numbers to come up with the best strategies.
Even if you are under pressure, you should remain detail-oriented. Mistakes in Accounting will be very costly to the company.
Accounting Assistant Resume Objective
Keep your Accounting Assistant resume objective short and simple by stating what you can offer the company.
The first thing you need to do is to read the job post. Find out the job’s specific requirements. Do you have to know a specific Accounting program? How many years of experience is needed? If you have these skills, indicate them in your objective statement.
We wrote out a sample Accounting Assistant resume objective in the voice of Vincent. It is in the first person and it is written as if he was speaking directly with the recruiter.
In the resume objective, Vincent discloses he is preparing to take his CPA licensing exam. This tells the recruiter that he is serious about building a career in Accounting with the company.
Accounting Assistant Resume Format
The chronological is the best for your Accounting Assistant resume format. It will detail your work experience. Likewise, the recruiter’s job will be easier. The chronological is popular with HR because it organizes your content very well.
Start your work experience with your current or latest job. List down at least 5 responsibilities that you managed. These tasks must be relevant to the needs of the company.
You should only include work experience that is relevant to the work of an Accounting Assistant. Any other type of work experience may only distract the recruiter.
Next, arrange the sections just like our sample resume template for an Accounting Assistant:
- Contact Information
- Objective Statement
- Work Experience
- Personal Information
Entry-Level Accounting Assistant Resume
There are many opportunities available for an Accounting Assistant. As we disclosed earlier, companies are always looking for people who can fit this position. This is why you should not worry even if you have an entry-level Accounting Assistant resume.
You should apply to jobs that fit your skill level. For example, if don’t have work experience, don’t apply to jobs that require 5 years tenure. Look for jobs that state, “No experience needed”.
Why not offer your services to volunteer work? This still counts as a great experience.
In your resume, highlight your administrative skills. As an entry-level Accounting Assistant, you will be tasked to handle mostly administrative-type work. This is just the starting point. Once you have proven your worth, you will move on to bigger things.
Accounting Assistant Resume Writing Tips
Like an Accountant, review your details carefully. Do not submit it until you are 100% sure about your content Here are valuable Accounting Assistant resume writing tips you should keep in mind.
- No Mistakes – In Accounting, you have to be precise. If your resume has spelling and grammatical errors, that is not being precise! Review your resume thoroughly. Make sure there are no glaring errors.
- Be Detailed – When describing your responsibilities, try to be as detailed as possible. Show the recruiter that you know your job very well. Keep in mind that the description of tasks will be different depending on the industry.
Don’t rush your resume. Take your time when writing it. Mistakes can cost you the job. By using our Accounting Assistant resume sample, you will have a great chance of getting the job.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?